MAY 9, 2021
2021 PGDC REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
2021 PGDC 8K COVID-19 Mitigation Plan
To offer an In-Person Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic Race Weekend, the Gasparilla Distance Classic Association has created and received the necessary approvals for a 2021 PGDC Race Weekend COVID-19 Mitigation Plan but will continue to follow the guidance of local Government and Health Officials as it relates to precautions relative to COVID-19.
Please remember, if the cancellation of an in-person 2021 PGDC Race Weekend due to COVID-19 is deemed necessary, the Association will comply and convert all events to a virtual experience.
Overall, the 2021 PGDC Race Weekend COVID-19 Mitigation Plan was designed to offer the opportunity for Gasparilla participants to run or walk the 15K, 5K, Half Marathon, or 8K in person, as safely as possible during the pandemic.
The 2021 PGDC Race Weekend COVID-19 Mitigation Plan includes the following for the 8K:
Reduced 8K Registration Cap – 4,000
● To protect the health and wellbeing of themselves, those around them, and their family and friends, the Gasparilla Distance Classic Association has established a Mandatory Face Covering/Mask/Gaiter Policy for all participants, volunteers** and staff** in the following 2021 Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic Race Weekend areas:
◆ Start Staging Corrals & Staging Zone
◆ Start Line Corral
■ The Race Morning Schedule calls for participants to remain in the Secure Start & Start Staging Area for no more than 45-minutes.
■ After crossing the Start Line, Face Coverings/Masks/Gaiters can be removed.
● Finish Line
● After crossing the Finish Line and while in the Finish Line Area, participants must wear a Face Covering/Mask/Gaiter
● Tampa Convention Center/8 On Your Side Health & Fitness Expo
◆ **To perform their duties throughout Race Weekend, Volunteers and Staff will be required to wear a Face Covering/Mask/Gaiter at all times, including but not limited to while in the Tampa Convention Center/Expo, All Event Venues, Start Line, Start Staging Corrals & Start Staging Zone, Aid Stations & Finish Line.
● 8K Start Location – Brorein Street & Franklin Street
● Beginning at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 9, 2021, 10 – 8K Wave Starts of 500 will take place at 15-Minute Intervals.
● Wave Start Seeding will be based on Verified Finish Times.
◆ All participants provided Projected Finish Times will be verified on Athlinks, the largest results database in the world.
● 8K Registered Participants will be assigned a Staggered Staging & Start Times
● 8K Secure Start & Start Staging Area
◆ Entry into the 8K Secure Start & Staging Area will be based on a participant’s assigned Staging & Start Time.
● Prior to entry into the 8K Secure Start & Start Staging Area, participants will be required to complete the COVID-19 ‘A Pirate’s Healthy Life For All’ Promise
● Prior to entry into the 8K Secure Start & Start Staging Area on Race Day, participants’ temperatures will be checked. A temperature of 100.4° F or less will be required for entry.
◆ If on Race Morning, a participant’s temperature registers above 100.4° F, they will be asked to step aside, wait five minutes, and return for another temperature check.
◆ If after three tries, the participant’s temp continues to register above 100.4° F, entry into the Secure Start & Start Staging Area will be refused.
● An 8K Secure Start Area (30′ x 750′) will be set-up according to physical distancing guidelines including, but not limited to, Physical Distancing Street Decals, Physically Distant Participant Linear Rows separated by barricades, controlled participant forward movement to Start Line.
◆ 500-Participants Per Wave Start.
◆ 32-Participants will Start every minute
■ In 2020, 1,200 crossed the 8K Start Line in one minute
◆ Four-Participants will Start every 7-seconds.
● Two Secure Start Staging Areas (40′ x 500′) will be set-up according to physical distancing guidelines including, but not limited to, Physical Distancing Street Markings, Physical Distancing Visual Signage, and controlled participant forward movement to Start Staging Area.
● Throughout the 2021 PGDC Race Weekend, all race staff, volunteers, and support personnel will be required to complete the COVID-19 ‘A Pirate’s Healthy Life For All’ Promise; and to access their Race Day Assignments, their temperatures will be checked. A temperature of 100.4° F or less will be required for Race Day participation.
ATTENTION 8K Walkers!
Walkers are welcome in the Publix Gasparilla 8K. Because of road closure permits, a 16-minute per mile pace must be maintained. Those not able to complete the 8K by 11:00 a.m. (1:30) will be moved to the Bayshore Boulevard sidewalk until Swann Avenue, at which time, they will be moved back on to the road for the remainder of their 8K.
$35 – June 1-30, 2020
$40 – June 1 – Oct. 31, 2020
$45 – Nov. 1, 2020 – March 5, 2021
$50 – ONLINE ONLY March 6– May 2, 2021 (or until 8K Sells Out)
If available, online registration will remain open until Sunday, May 2, 2021, but beginning Saturday, March 6, 2021, the cost of 8K registration will be according to the Online Late Registration Fees ($50 – 8K).
All 2021 Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic participants MUST sign the Race Form Waiver. A Parent or Legal Guardian MUST sign the Race Application Waiver for participants under the age of 18.
LATE ONLINE REGISTRATION FEES WILL BEGIN ON SATURDAY, March 6, 2021.
Upon completion of your Online Registration, you will receive a confirmation email from Race Roster Networks.
Mail-In Offline Registration
To register by mail, please complete this 2021 PGDC By-Mail Registration. (PGDC Registration Form must be opened in Adobe Reader). Once opened, click on each field, fill in and then, print for signing. Once completed, enclose Entry Fee Payment and mail to the following address: GDCA • P.O. Box 1881 • Tampa, FL 33601-1881
All Mail-in Offline 2021 Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic Registration Forms must be postmarked by March 5, 2021.
IMPORTANT: Due to administrative costs associated with processing Mail-in Offline PGDC Registrations, a $3 Processing Fee must be added to the Total Registration Amount Due. Registration Forms received without the $3 Processing Fee will be returned.
Click here for the 2021 PGDC By-Mail Registration Form
Race Confirmation Emails
Registered participants who provide a correct and legible email address will receive a Race Registration Confirmation via email from PGDC no later than Monday, May 3, 2021. Confirmation will include each participant’s assigned Race Number, Name, Address, Race Entered, and Age.
If at any time, you have unsubscribed from the Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic E-Blast Database, you WILL NOT receive a Registration Confirmation via email. You MUST rejoin the Publix Gasparilla Distance Classic E-Blast Database. To rejoin, Click Here.
Due to extensive logistical planning and commitments made in the race production process, we have a no refund, no deferrals, no transfer policy.
Publix Gasparilla 8K Shirt & Race Number Pick-Up will take place during the 8 On Your Side Health & Fitness Expo that will be held at the Tampa Convention Center on Friday, May 7, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., and on Saturday, May 8, beginning at 9:30 a.m. (following Start of 5K) and until 5 p.m.
For late out-of-town arrivals ONLY, there will be very limited Packet Pick-Up on Race Day, Sunday, May 9. Requests for Race Day Packet Pick-up must be made in writing and no later than Friday, April 30, 2021. To request a Race Day Packet Pick-up, please send us an email.
If you are not able to attend the Expo and pick-up your Race Number, a Race Number Pick-Up Authorization Form must be completed, signed, and presented by whoever WILL be picking it up for you. A downloadable version of the Authorization Form can be found below.